BEDBUGS | What are bed bugs? Signs of Bed bugs and Bed Bug Facts.
This page is designed as a brief overview of the most common sought for information about bed bugs. The signs of bed bugs are easy to spot and, by studying this page and others on this site, you will be able to detect the presence of bedbugs in your home.
BEDBUGS FACTS | What are bed bugs and Signs of Bed bugs.
- Bed bugs are small, oval, non-flying insects that feed by sucking blood from humans or animals. The belong to the insect family Cimicidae, which includes three species that bite people.
- Adult bed bugs reach 5-7 mm in length, while nymphs (juveniles) are as small as 1.5 mm.
- Bed bugs have flat bodies and may sometimes be mistaken for ticks or small cockroaches.
- Adult bed bugs are reddish brown in color, appearing more reddish after feeding on a blood meal. Nymphs are clear in color and appear bright red after feeding.
- Bedbugs cannot fly.
- Bedbugs can live up to 1 year without feeding.
- Bed bugs can live in any area of the home and can reside in tiny cracks in furniture as well as on textiles and upholstered furniture. They are often found where people sleep and and concentrate in beds, mattresses, boxsprings, and bed frames.
- Bed bugs are nocturnal and most active at night and bite any exposed areas of skin while an individual is sleeping.
- The face, neck, hands, and arms are the most common sites for bedbug bites.
- A bed bug bite is painless. Small, flat, or raised bumps and redness, swelling, and itching most commonly occur.
- Often, no treatment is strictly required for bed bug bites. If itching is severe, steroid creams or oral antihistamines may be used for symptom relief.
- Fecal stains, egg cases, and exuviae (molts) of bed bugs in crevices near beds are a good sign that bed bugs are present.
- A bed bug female lays 300-500 eggs in her lifetime. The eggs look like small white rice.
- Bed bugs were common in the U.S. before World War II. The pesticide DDT helped decrease their numbers in the 1940s and 1950s, but increased international travel and resistance to pesticides have increased their numbers in the US again in recent years.
Do you have any questions or bed bug facts that you would like to share? Please leave a comment in the comment section below.
Incoming search terms:
- bed bug eggs
- signs of bed bugs
- bed bugs signs
- Early Symptoms Of Bed Bugs
- small flat brown bug
- small flat bugs